Friday 24 April 2009

Egrets - Bahama Bay

I was going to call this post white herons, to follow from the last, but in truth these are all herons and egrets so I might as well call it egrets. There is a bird called a great white heron which isn't an egret, so let's not confuse things or provide false hope! There were three egrets I saw regularly at B Bay. The snowy egret, much like our own little egret, always seemed to be on the far side of the pond, and I didn't get any shots worth putting up. The great egret shown first is a lovely bird with that beautiful plume of feathers that shows so well in the dawn silhouette. Stalking through the reeds it seemed to catch tadpoles primarily, but none so large as the lbh!
Great egret
Great egret
Florida,Wildlife,Birds
The surprise of this trip were the cattle egrets which I hadn't seen last time. At dusk they would fly into the reeds on the second pond to roost. We were usually still out at that time so I only watched them come in twice, and couldn't get any decent flight shots. In fact the thick reeds meant I struggled to get even these pictures below. In the early morning light they were off again, and I began to wonder if I would ever get a chance for a closer picture (the lower shot is a quite heavy crop, altho' it doesn't look too bad here).
Florida,Wildlife,Birds

Florida,Wildlife,Birds

1 comment:

  1. Hey Brian I've done the same thing! We holiday in the Florida Keys every year and I've set up a separate blog for my wildlife shots. I'm here at the moment, so I'm seeing these birds every day at the moment. Great pictures. Love the alligator sunrise in his eye pic! Jane

    ReplyDelete