Tuesday 21 April 2009

Sunrise in an alligator's eye

I saw the sunrise in an alligator's eye. Alligator
Some mornings there was mist that hung over the lakes at Bahama Bay. Coming round to the big lake I saw the pied billed grebes, my original target, and with them my first Bahama Bay gator. Not a huge one, but big enough to be glad it was a way off. Alligator
It lazily swam out across the lake through the reflections of the surrounding apartment buildings, and out of camera range.AlligatorAlligator
A couple of mornings later I was back at dawn, and went down to the waters edge to try and snap the grebes. As always they were shy and skittish, not helped by the racket a moorhen started to make in the reeds. A bit slow on the uptake it was only when the gator slid out from the reeds nearby I realised why it was so distressed.Alligator
Making sure I had a route away from the water (yeah, I'm a wary soul!) and that there was sufficient vegetation around to discourage a bigger brother from wandering down to me, I got down low to get some better angle shots as the sun came up.AlligatorAlligator
It drifted out to a patch of weed and just rested up, until I gave up first - more wildlife to try and photograph, and never enough time. I didn't see it again.
Alligator
Sunrise in the eye?
Here's a Bahama Bay sunrise .......Alligator
and here's a close up of the eye. Alligator
Now tell me that's not the sunrise in there.

No comments:

Post a Comment