Sunday 26 April 2009

Green Heron - Bahama Bay

Every so often you come across a subject that grabs your attention, and you try that much harder, or want that much more to get some pictures. Hawfinch have done that to me (3 days and 12 hours+ in my hide for maybe 10 minutes of action on the middle day, but I'd try again if it wasn't that there will be too much else around over the next few weeks), and, for whatever reason the green heron captured my imagination last time we were in Florida. My book then called it a green backed heron, but it seems in the US as here names keep being modified.
They're just kind of cute, and I love the way that great long neck morphs out of the squat little figure you usually see.
The pictures below sort of show how I gradually got better views over my visits to the pond. It was almost as though they got used to this strange character (often in a degree of 'toy soldier' camo gear - but that's a story to follow) who kept turning up and eventually accepted me , at least if I wasn't moving around.
The pictures also show how the light went from too dark for decent photo's to really quite harsh in just 30-40 minutes on any day the sun was out.

Florida,Wildlife,Birds

Florida,Wildlife,Birds

Florida,Wildlife,Birds

Green Heron

Florida,Wildlife,Birds

Florida,Wildlife,Birds

Florida,Wildlife,Birds

2 comments:

  1. Hi Brian,

    Really like this stuff, see you've managed to get bigger pics, how?

    Brian
    brian.davis20@btopenworld.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Brian, Thanks. I've replied by email about the bigger pic's. If it doesn't arrive let me know.

    ReplyDelete